Monday, June 9, 2008

Fish oil turmoil


Fish oil has so many great health benefits: it's good for your heart, it's "brain food," it helps with mood swings, yadda, yadda, yadda. It's all great until you put a capsule in your pants pocket to take with some food later on and then forget about it.

Late in the afternoon I noticed an odd smell coming from somewhere, but I couldn't place it. I could kind of smell it on my hands, but even after washing them, the smell prevailed elsewhere. I finally looked down and saw some splotches on my pants and wondered what they were from. I smelled them and thought, "That's weird, it smells like fish oil." It didn't hit me until a little while later that that's exactly what it was.

I figured I'd just spray the pants with some vinegar and then some pre-treatment and then throw them in the wash. Well, now I not only have pants that stink of fish oil but a whole load of other clothes as well. I've washed them four times to no avail. I tried vinegar, Borax, different water settings, nothing has worked. I can't bleach them because it's a darks load, of course. After typing in "getting fish oil out of clothes" into Google, I'm going to try and soak them in vinegar for a couple hours and then wash with ammonia, as some people have mentioned to do on the internet. I might have to resort to buying some expensive cleansers, but I'm hoping I don't have to.

The one thing I'm happy about after searching the internet is knowing that I'm not the only blockhead who's done this.

*Update* Finally got the fish oil out of the jeans, but it took about 7 washes, tons of spot cleaning, and even a spray that's used for pet odors in carpets to get it out.

No comments: