Thursday, July 24, 2008

Skin-Deep Reflections


After thinking about yesterday's post, I'm wondering if I came off sounding more like Sarah Robbins from Marie Claire in her article, "Is Love Skin Deep?"

Jordan Ginsburg of BMEzine (I'm embarrassed that, as an editor, I don't know how to cite a zine) had a really great response to her article here, called "How I Learned to Stop Being a Vapid Moron and Kind of Love a Guy With a Tattoo."

I hope I'm not as vapid a moron, and maybe a little more open-minded? I'd like to think so, considering that Ralph has 10 (or is is 11?) tattoos in highly visible spots. I'm not embarrassed to walk down the street with him or worry what others will think. I think he looks great. Or does that just make me more of a moron for thinking that I'm above moron status because my boyfriend and I have tattoos?

It makes me think of all the various camps in the spectrum, ranging from people who are "plainskins" with no tattoos because they feel getting inked is morally wrong and masochistic and therefore feel themselves intellectually superior, to those who have tons of tattoos with many deep and spiritual meanings, and therefore feel they are more enlightened and, well, intellectually superior.

Food for thought.

Oh, and as for the misspelled tattoos, maybe the victims can take comfort in this quote I found:

Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing. - Randy K. Milholland

No comments: