Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Ten on Wednesday


Yes, I know it's usually Ten on Tuesday. But yesterday got away from me, and here are ten reasons why:

1. I had to take two insane kittens to the vet early in the morning and didn't have time to post before that.

2. I had to search for a gift for the boys to give to their mother since her birthday is on Monday and there is no way that I am going anywhere near a shopping center this weekend.

3. I had to finish up Thanksgiving grocery shopping and spent lots of time debating in the meat section on whether to get a ham as a backup for the turkey. You know, just in case.

4. I had to drive all the way back to Joanne's in a remote shopping center to return the turquoise yarn I inexplicably bought instead of the "jade heather" shade to complete the purse I'm currently working on for a Christmas present.

5. I had to stop at Petco to pick up a new carrier for two insane kittens since they all but destroyed with their terrible claws the other cardboard one I had. I also had to spend lots of time hunting down an employee to get said carrier off the highest shelf in the store and then convince them that yes, I really did also need to buy feeder fish and no, I was not just wasting their time with useless tasks.

6. Upon returning from errands, I had to clean the kitchen, which has recently fallen into disrepair since the cleaning is left in the hands of three preteen/teenage boys. This involved much scrubbing, wiping, organizing, recycling, and tons of elbow grease. This process was repeated throughout the day as the boys seemed bound and determined to undermine my cleaning process with their own unique dirtying process. How Thanksgiving prep will take place in there I have no idea.

7. Throughout the day I had to intermittently wrangle previously-mentioned teens/tweens into cleaning up after themselves, force feed them lunch instead of letting them eat ice cream, referee wrestling matches that threatened bodily harm, counsel young minds on the necessity of chores, and continuously monitor the noises eminating from the Man Cave (garage) that threatened to break the sound barrier. Rinse and repeat ad nauseum.

8. I had to pick up two insane kittens from the vet who were not only mad as wet hens but also extremely vocal about their anger. Upon returning home, I had to doctor my punture wounds from said vicious animals.

9. I had to unpack and set out my grandmother's china in order to see if I actually have enough place settings for Thanksgiving dinner. This also necessitated the unearthing of placemats and table runners, and then the washing of all cloth napkins.

10. I had to write out the ever-growing list of chores that need to be done the next day in order to prepare the household for the arrival of guests, including, but not limited to, sweeping/mopping/vacuuming in order to get all cat hair off surfaces since said guests are allergic to cats, baking a cake so that the members who don't like pumpkin or apple pie can be somewhat satisfied with our measly choices of desserts, changing the bedsheets and washing the towels for guests, inspecting the boys' bathroom to make sure guests won't faint on sight, and generally cajoling, pleading, threatening, and possibly hog-tying teens/tweens of the household into making our home and themselves presentable for guests who have never before seen our house or met the inhabiting progeny.

In case you are interested in lists other than excuses, head over to Crayl's Beyond Black and White for amazing A-listers.

No comments: