Monday, April 26, 2010

Monday Musings

This weekend was a DIY weekend. Ralph concocted a sprinkler contraption to water the back yard, since the sprinkler system is still broken. It turned out really well, it waters the whole yard.

Coco didn't share my enthusiasm. With the sprinkler heads up high and spraying 360°, she is very upset at the water flowing from up above.




She kept trying to bite it where it fell.



I hope she's able to figure out the futility soon; she'll wear herself out with all the nipping and yelping. At least this way we know she's getting her exercise for the day.




For my part, I attempted to do something with the lovely 'cultured marble' counter top of my vanity.


I'd read about people painting their laminate and cultured marble countertops to make them look like stone, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Being the lazy person that I am, I didn't feel like doing a whole lot of actual painting. I found a site that showed how to spray paint your counter. Following the instructions, I bought primer, "stone" spray, and clear gloss for the top coat.


I sanded down the counter and sprayed on the primer. I started spraying the stone spray, and quickly ran out (I think I was wasting a lot and not really covering well). Here's after a couple of layers.



I went back to the store and found that the grayish stone spray was discontinued, and I only had white or brown to choose from. I chose the brown.


Ralph helped me spray it so that it wouldn't be so streaky. It actually looks pretty good. I let it cure yesterday and will spray the gloss over it today. I don't know if the gloss will be enough to make it smooth, as the stone spray is a bit bumpy. I'll post pics of that tomorrow.


Other random bits...


I totally want to recreate this mirror frame above the vanity when I'm done with the counter:

from {show and tell} she has such awesome ideas!



I'm thinking of joining Bunch of Scrap's Maintaining the Mayhem adventure. Not that it's not already a huge challenge to try and keep my life together. I'm thinking I can at least learn some ideas that can help. Either that, or we'll all just commiserate; misery loves company.

Bunch of Scrap




I found this quote on The Seasonal Cottage and thought it was pretty awesome:


Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
Pablo Picasso


I found a great website called 1000 Awesome Things, which lists the simple pleasures in life that make it all that much more worth living. I love it. Each post makes me smile. He's also got a book out called The Book of Awesome.



Have a great week.


No comments: