Friday, June 25, 2010

Bullies (Not What You Think)

*Oops. Got this out a day late. Still some good info, though, I promise.

Today is Take Your Dog To Work Day, although my company does not participate. (The owners have no pets. I know. Weird.)

I was wondering if there was a Take Your Cat To Work Day, and decided to Google it. There doesn't seem to be an official day, but some pet owners are allowed to bring them into the work place. What I did find was a great cartoon. I love Rhymes With Orange, it's always relevant and hysterical. Plus, it had me at hello the title.


Both of the cats would be meowing to be fed all day (pigs, the lot of them), or wanting to go outside and roll around in the grass.


Of all the dogs, Blue would probably do best at the office. The two little ones would run around too much, plus Daisy would be barking at everyone. Coco would probably chew everything in sight. Blue would just lay by my feet all day. The only problem is that his gas would make people pass out. That, and people are terrified of these bloodthirsty creatures:

Um. Yeah.

I was scared of them, too, until Blue came into my life. Then I realized the only danger I was in was being licked to death. Well, that and the possibility of getting a fat lip from Blue trying to jump up and kiss me. He has no idea how hard that big ol' head of his is.


Since I'm on the subject, below are some great sites about pit bulls. I always try and give some positive stats and info about these amazing dogs, since there's too much of the opposite.

Pit Bull Dog Breed Info

Pit Bulls.org

Pit Bull Lovers


Don't Bully My Breed



This last site has some great info as well as neat vintage pictures of pit bulls owned back in the early 19oos, etc. The site points out many different periods of history where pit bulls were revered. During World War I , the pit bull was often used on war posters to represent America.



Helen Keller had a pit bull.




Petey from the Little Rascals was a pit bull.




Plus, during the early part of the 20th century, it was the most popular family dog in America!


Quote from the Don't Bully My Breed site:

According to the American Canine Temperament Testing Association, 85.3% of the American Pit Bull Terriers that took the temperament test passed, compared to a 81.9% passing rate for all breeds on average.

Our other dogs: Chihuahua - 71.1%, Belgian Malinois - 91.5%, Pomeranian - 75.0%.

Other breeds: Golden Retriever: 84.6%, Basset Hound: 85.3%, Beagle: 81.o%, Shar-Pei: 71.8%, Dalmatian: 81.9%, Cocker Spaniel: 81.9%, Collie: 79.4%, Dachshund: 70.2%.


So don't believe the hype*, peeps. End of PSA.

Have a great weekend.



*Speaking of hype, here's an article that just came out about the IE where I live. It's not that I don't think there are some dangerous dogs out here, but these guys are the ones that make the papers. What about all the other ones roaming the streets? 'Cause we've got tons of those and none of them are pit bulls.

No comments: