Monday, December 20, 2010

Monday Musings: A Dichotomy in the Desert




Winter here in the desert looks like the polar opposite of the rest of the country, at least the states in the Midwest and Northeast. It's quite dry most of the time and no snow below 7,000 feet. That's why this week's rain has taken people by surprise, as it's been raining for three days straight and will continue for at least another two.



My mom told me it's the biggest storm in Southern California in 10 years.


I love the rain, especially since it tends to keep most desert dwellers inside. That made Christmas shopping a tad bit easier this weekend, although not by much.

I also love the beauty of the rain, and the resulting green, which is in short supply around these here parts. I took a few minutes on Sunday during a brief respite to brave our flooded back yard and snap a few pictures. I love how the cacti, symbols of the dry desert, have water droplets clinging to them.





Blue was the only one willing to accompany me to the back 40. He's pretty much impervious to heat and cold and damp.




Just to give you an idea of how big these monsters are, Blue is a 75 pound dog, and he looks like a tea cup poodle next to them.



They are all at least six feet tall and six feet wide. Most of the time I stay as far away from the prickly beasts as I can, but somehow the rain made them beautiful.


Hope everyone had a good weekend.

No comments: