Wednesday, December 15, 2010

No Wonder I Usually Gain Ten Pounds Between Halloween and New Year's

My season of gluttony kicks off with the mini treats offered for Halloween. (I wonder if they make everything smaller so it doesn't seem like such a big deal if you eat two or three or ten.)

Then, of course, is Thanksgiving, the holiday that actually specifies that you are supposed to stuff yourself silly.

After that, it's a free-for-all. There are so many delicious treats that abound at this time of year that sometimes that I get to the point where I don't even notice that I'm popping something sweet in my mouth until the plate is empty. And then I think to myself, "How did I accidentally eat an entire box of chocolates?" (One year I got a box of See's candies from one of my students. I ate the entire 1-pound box during their P.E. period, which is 40 minutes long.)

Sadly, I'm teaching the boys my bad habits because I've been making a lot of desserts lately. (As if there weren't enough sweets out there!) I guess seeing all those delicious sugary foods makes me crave them even more. I haven't gotten around to actually making Christmas cookies yet, but last night I made oven-baked s'mores, courtesy of Sara and Kate at Our Best Bites:



So easy! So dangerous.


I'm also in the process of making their jello treats as well:


They take a while to make since they have to chill over two nights, but other than that all you have to do is basically boil water. I'm making blue and white ones right now. If they're a hit I'll probably go red and green. I might even use Christmas cookie cutters to shape them just to throw myself whole hog into this here season.

Just so I can keep the sugar high going all day, I'm planning on starting the weekend mornings chock full of sweetness. And stickiness. And gooeyness. And fried deliciousness.

Our Best Bites' cinnamon rolls (can you tell I just found their site and totally am in love?) are on the menu:



As well as some of the Pioneer Woman's apple fritters:


I'm using the excuse that all the apples I bought for the boys have gone uneaten and are getting mealy. Food is a terrible thing to waste.



I also just made PW's monkey bread, too.



We burned our fingers and mouths on it because we couldn't wait one more minute for them to cool down. I couldn't have taken a picture of it if I wanted to. (PW's pics are much better anyway.)




At least I don't have to worry about them going into insulin shock.



Somebody stop me.
(You'll need to bring reinforcements.)





*all photos courtesy of Our Best Bites and Pioneer Woman, respectively. I think I'll have them split the bill on my gym membership. Seems only fair.

No comments: