Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Calling It In





(These horseshoes have absolutely nothing to do with this post. I just thought they were funny.)


Yeah, I know, I've been calling it in the past few posts. It's not that I haven't wanted to write anything, I've just not had anything interesting to say. (Many might argue that I never have anything interesting to say.) I've also been lax on answering e-mails, returning telephone calls, or any kind of correspondence in general. It's not that I'm in a funk, so to speak. In fact, I'm finally feeling better after my last bout of depression. I guess that's why I'm not as tempted to surf the net, update my Facebook status, or chatter on incessantly about my everyday, mundane life. I kind of want to get out there and do some living for a change.


The other day I ran across a post by Ashley at Domestic Fashionista. She's reading a book by Donald Miller called A Million Miles in a Thousand Years. I went back and read all her posts about the book, and I love the introspection she puts in her posts.


The book is basically about Miller's experience working with screenwriters to make a movie based on his memoir. Problem was, his life was a bit too directionless for the big screen. So he set out to start living, rather than writing about living.


One quote from the book (that Ashley has in her post as well) particularly struck me:



People who live good stories are too busy to write about them. Nobody ever strapped a typewriter to the back of an elephant and wrote a novel while hunting wild game…


Not that I'm planning on riding an elephant or hunting wild game. Maybe just taming the wilds of our backyard and picking up some projects that have been languishing forever. Or savoring a delicious book or ten. Or perhaps even venturing out into the great IE and engaging with others. What a concept.


Spring weather seems to do this to me.


It also makes me want to add random pictures that have nothing to do with the post.

Sorry. I'll stop.


Anywho, I guess this is an excuse and an apology and a manifesto all rolled into one. Or something like that.


Carry on.




Find the unicorn meat here.


No comments: