Friday, August 29, 2008

Aphids in the Garden and My Avengers

My watermelon plant isn't doing well. Sure, it's growing, but it's also become completely infested with aphids. (At least, that's what I think they are.) And the ants are having a ball with them.


The picture's a bit fuzzy because the dogs kept trying to lick my face while I was taking the picture. Coco decided she would try and help by stomping on the aphids.


Thanks for helping, sweetie, but I don't think that's gonna help all that much.

I thought Blue might try to help as well, but he gently reminded me that his job is simply to sit there and look pretty.




All in all, I think this little guy is going to be my best bet.



I've seen him in and around the plants when I've been watering. Right now he's taking a quick break from aphid eating to gain some warmth from these bricks. Recharging for the next attack, you know.

I decided to spray down the watermelon with some soapy water as well. We'll see how that works.

The rest of the "garden" is doing okay, considering one of my tomatoes up and died in less than 24 hours. I mean, it went from green and thriving to wilted and on death's doorstep overnight. The other tomato is trying to hang on.


It looks a little sad in this picture, but it's grown a lot. And the lemon balm has exploded:


Not so much my little green pepper:


But I haven't given up hope yet, as it's finally spurting forth a couple of pretty white flowers.

Ralph told me that even if we can't harvest anything, he thinks I should still consider this experiment a success in that I actually manage to keep these things alive. That is actually a huge accomplishment for me.

No comments: