Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Mourning the Death of Postum



I've been trying to cut down on my caffeine intake for the Discretionary Eating Challenge, and I thought I'd stock up on Postum to ease the pain of separation. It's a delicious, coffee-like beverage that tastes great with cream and sugar. It's enough to fool my taste buds, and I couldn't wait to get some.


I checked all the usual stores, and I couldn't find it anywhere! I asked store clerks, and they thought they still had it, but couldn't find it either.

Imagine my distress when I looked it up to buy it online, only to find that it's been discontinued! I found an article about Kraft Foods discontinuing it here, and then went on eBay to see if anyone was selling leftovers. They are. For $35 a bottle. Too steep for me, even though I do so love it.



Some people are actually petitioning Kraft to bring Postum back, like in this message board, and many people are writing articles about reviving this old favorite. I'm hoping that Kraft will reconsider and bring back this delicious treat.

But what do I do in the meantime?

There are other drinks similar to Postum, like Roma and Pero. I will probably try those in time, but they are pretty expensive. So for now, I ordered an old standby, Celestial Seasonings Roastaroma.




While I usually find tea too weak and watery for my liking, Roastaroma tends to be more robust and does have a bit of a coffee flavor. I put cream and sugar in it and I can then fool myself into thinking I have some kind of coffee-like beverage.

It definitely doesn't replace Postum, but at least it's something to keep me warm while I'm holding my torch.

4 comments:

Chile said...

I wish I could have found Roastaroma for my taste test. I had it years ago, and found it too weak, but tastes change. I might like it now.

Have you tried making your own "postum"? Recipe

Heather said...

I hadn't heard of making your own Postum! I'll have to try it out. Where can I get ground wheat?

Chile said...

Hm, I'm not sure if they mean whole wheat flour or flour ground to the consistency of cornmeal. The "wheat coffee" in this recipe collection calls for cracked wheat. You might try two small batches - one with ww flour and one with cracked wheat. You can buy cracked wheat in natural food stores, often in the bulk bin. You can also find it at Middle Eastern stores. Bulgur is not quite the same thing as it is pre-cooked cracked wheat that's been dried. Although, that might work, too.

Heather said...

Thanks so much for all the tips!