Thursday, March 26, 2009

Random Facebook Relationship Meme



A little while back on Dooce, Heather put up a meme that is currently circulating around Facebook. It's about you and your significant other; I thought it would be fun to play along.

What are your middle names?
My middle name is Cay, after a small cay in the Virgin Islands. I was conceived there on my parents' honeymoon. (My brother's middle name is Birch, for the same reason. I'm really unhappy to know that information.) Ralph doesn't have a middle name, although it was supposed to be Zing, the name of one of his parents' friends. Not sure why it never came about.

How long have you been together?
Goin' on two years.

How long did you know each other before you started dating?
I met him on November 1st, 2005, my second day of work at the company where we're both employed. (For those of you clucking your tongues about us working together, we only work in the same building. We don't ever actually have to interact with each other.) We didn't start dating until July 2007.

Who asked whom out?
Hmmm... I'm not 100% sure, but I think it was me. It kind of just happened and all of a sudden we were dating.

How old are each of you?
I'm 34 and he is OLD just turned 40 on Monday. He does not look 40 at all, and I swear that in pictures of him with his kids when they were younger he looks like he's 12. A 12-year-old with three kids.

Whose siblings do you see the most?
My brother only just recently moved back the United States, so definitely his siblings. Although for living so close, you'd think we'd see them more often.

Which situation is the hardest on you as a couple?
Probably driving. We commute 120 miles a day together and we each LOATHE the other person's driving. He drives like he's on fire and the only water is 50 miles away, and I tend to be more, uh, cautious.

Did you go to the same school?
Nope.

Are you from the same home town?
No. I hadn't even been to his neck o' the woods until we started dating. And he'd never been to my hometown until I dragged him there kicking and screaming.

Who is smarter?
Ralph is definitely smarter, for which I am thankful. I'd hate to have the pressure of being the smart one. (Not that I've ever had to deal with that pressure....) My memory is awful, too, while he can retain RAM like a hard drive.

Who is the most sensitive?
Um. Me.

Where do you eat out most as a couple?
We don't actually eat out too often, although we always go to lunch on Fridays with other coworkers. So it's probably one of the little restaurants near work.

Where is the furthest you two have traveled together as a couple?
The Bay Area.

Who has the craziest exes?
Hmmm. While mine are pretty eclectic, I think I'm going to have to say Ralph's. And I'm going to leave it at that. At least for this post.

Who has the worst temper?
The funny thing about this question is that if you were to ask anyone, anyone at all who has been living in Southern California for any amount of time and has driven on the freeways or been to any area with a large congregation of people, they would immediately know the answer to this question. And laugh that someone would actually have to ask it.

Who does the cooking?
Ralph, thank God. Having been a single dad, he had to cook, while me being pretty much single for 30-odd years was completely content to eat tomatoes and frozen yogurt for dinner. I'll cook breakfast on the weekends, but other than that the boys have to depend on their dad unless they want canned soup for dinner.

Who is the neat-freak?
Unfortunately neither of us. I wish someone in this relationship actually liked to clean. I'm a neat freak but I'm trapped in a slob's body.

Who is more stubborn?
Both of us are pretty stubborn. I HATE admitting when I'm wrong, and Ralph would rather sit and stew in frustration than solve the problem at hand. Like the time his cable was turned off accidentally and he was so mad at the cable company that he waited almost six months to reinstate it, all the while hating the fact that he couldn't watch TV.

Who hogs the bed?
Sigh. Me, but it's not something I have any control over. I have very violent dreams and I think I act them out while I'm asleep. Ralph complains about this constantly, especially when I knee him in the back. The funny thing is that even when he's sleeping alone he stays on his tiny one-tenth part of the bed.

Who wakes up earlier?
On weekends, me. On weekdays, Ralph. He is NOT a morning person AT ALL, but when it comes to getting up for work, he simply goes on autopilot. The alarm goes off at 3:30 AM (yes, you read that right; remember we have a long commute) and he's just up and in the shower immediately. I stay in bed and bemoan my miserable existence on the planet and the job that requires the necessity of the ungodly hour. But on weekends, I'm up early, wanting to savor the day off. Ralph can sleep 'til noon.

Where was your first date?
I honestly can't remember, since we went out so much as friends before we started dating. I guess technically it would be the Pomona Tattoo Expo, which I realize doesn't sound all that romantic.

Who is more jealous?
I think we're about even in this, although Ralph may disagree.

How long did it take to get serious?
Once we actually started dating, we were serious immediately. We had already spent so much time together that we just knew we were right for each other.

Who eats more?
Me, hands down. Ralph can go days without eating, while I actually have food stashed in different areas of the house. I also have a candy dish at work as well as more candy stashed in my drawer. I clean my plate pretty much every time something's put in front of me. I hide candy from the boys so that I can eat it without worrying if they'll finish it off, and I also hide popcicles behind the meat in the freezer so they can't eat my favorite flavors. I obviously think about food way too much.

Who does the laundry?
Me, unfortunately. I hate laundry and would rather buy new clothes each time I run out just so I wouldn't ever have to fluff and fold. Good thing my budget won't allow that.

Who's better with the computer?
I actually give Ralph a headache every time he sees me attempting to do something on the computer. He had to make his own invitations for his birthday party because he would have had to kill me if I had kept messing them up.

Who drives when you are together?
Usually Ralph, but it depends. Since we carpool to work, one of us usually sleeps on the way there in the morning, and sometimes we switch off for that. I think Ralph would prefer to drive all the time, seeing as how the alternative would mean giving up control, which does not exactly come easily to him. I wouldn't mind him driving all the time if it didn't mean that I had to endure all the screaming and swearing at every single other driver on the freeway every time I got in the car. Oh wait. He does that no matter who's driving.

Anyone have similar answers to mine?


image source

No comments: