Friday, July 10, 2009

Flower Pins Galore

Everyone seems to be making fabric flowers nowadays. Some of the tutorials I've seen and loved are from Whatever and Stuff:




Sew Ritzy ~ Titzy:



and Wise Craft:




I also loved It's in the Details' idea for using paper:



Those are just a few of the many. You can check out my Tumblr list for more.

After gazing longingly at these lovelies online for decades days , I finally decided started fiddling around on my own. I started with fake plastic flowers from the Dollar Tree so I had some sort of frame to work with. I used different layers from different flowers and hot glued them together.


Then I started layering plastic with fabric.




I finally graduated to all fabric.



I even practiced making a paper flower.


I sprayed the pages of the book with tea to make them look aged. After they dried I Mod-Podged them to make them a bit more sturdy.

I never seem to get the petals of the flowers the right shape, so I tried one of the current "yo yo" methods; I used this tutorial by Heather Bailey. Here are hers:



They are so easy! Plus, I don't have to worry about having my petals look all funky and lumpy and misshapen, since they're kinda' supposed to look that way. These first couple I just whipped up and didn't really pay attention to how I stitched them. Next time I will probably make the stitches closer to the edge like Heather did. I think they still turned out pretty cute.




There are so many cool tutorials out there, I don't know where to start next! Try one out with some fabric scraps, that's all you need! (Well, that and a needle and thread and glue gun).

No comments: