Monday, March 29, 2010

Eating a Frog

(found here)


If you eat a frog first thing in the morning, the rest of your day will be wonderful.” -Mark Twain



My favorite Far Side cartoon of all time is the one of a man filling up a measuring cup with water. Instead of measurements of 1/2 cup, 1 cup, etc., the measurements read 6:00 AM, 7:00 AM, 8:00 AM, etc. That really is the best alarm clock; the only way I can get out of bed fairly easily in the morning is if I have to pee like a racehorse.

I'd read the above quote a while back and found it funny and inspirational. It's all about doing the hard things first, tackling the biggest challenge, etc.

As much as I like the quote, my first thought was that there was no way I could do that all of the time.

But then I realized that I already do.

Every morning, I want to cry when the alarm goes off at 3:30. I think that I can't possibly get out of bed to get to work. Every morning I contemplate calling in sick for the day. (I can't say I'll be in later as it's a huge commute that would take hours if I went during rush hour.) It takes every ounce of my being to drag myself from what always manages to be the most comfortable position possible and stumble around to start my day.

This morning was no different, except it was actually worse. Mondays are the worst day to get up after you've been able to sleep in just a smidge during the weekend. As I got to work this morning, someone mentioned how awful it was that it was Monday since we had five days to go before the weekend. Instead of agreeing, a different thought popped into my head, "Only four more mornings to wake up at an ungodly hour." I suddenly realized that the worst part of my day was over, and it wasn't even daylight yet.

Getting out of bed at dark 'o clock to drive 62 miles before the workday even starts? If that's not as bad as eating a frog, I don't know what is.

Happy Monday everyone.





P.S. What is the "froggiest" part of your day?

No comments: