Thursday, August 19, 2010

Thankful Thursday - The Xenophobic X*

For the X list, I knew it was going to be tough for me to come up with ten, but then I remembered one of my favorite Xs from long ago and I got all happy and nostalgic:

XAVIER Roberts

Doesn't ring a bell? He was the inventor and manufacturer of the Cabbage Patch Kids!



The only reason I remember his name is because each doll had his signature on their bum:



(Click here to see an actual tattoo of his signature on someone's hiney.)

I had one similar to the one above, and I loved her dearly. She was blond like me [at the time. ahem.], and the only way I was able to get one was because my friend's mom owned a toy store. (I remember she saved the doll for me and told me that lots of people had offered her lots of money for the doll. I honestly think she told me that to try to get me to pay her more. I was ten.)


My X chromosome


XEROX machines
What did we ever do without them?

X-ray machines
wonderful invention; requires much less cutting open of bodies


Being here in South Africa and learning different tribes and customs, including the XOSHA tribe.

(source)


(Off topic: At Lesedi we also learned about the Pedi tribe who were defeated by the
the British army. They lost the battle because they thought the kilted Scots leading the army were women. They held their fire until they realized their mistake, but it was too late. The tribe now wears kilts as part of their traditional dress, as a reminder not to make the same mistake again.)



(source)




Okay, I could only come up with five. So here are five more things I'm thankful for right now:

*Having had a total of four days of homework so far in the school year, and not one temper tantrum yet! Seriously awesome.

*Seeing Ralph so excited/proud at Peez' football game on Tuesday.

*Aaron telling me that he likes his classes and that they seem manageable this semester.

* Finding my keys yesterday when I thought they were lost.

* The delicious watermelon waiting in my fridge.


Crayl at Beyond Black and White has a Ten on Tuesday (listing 10 things she's grateful for) every week. Check out her blog for more wonderful tidbits of thankfulness.







* Xenophobia is the fear of people of foreign origin. I actually have no idea how X feels about foreigners.

No comments: