Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Day #12 ~ The Spice Cabinet



Whoo boy am I behind!

A funeral + a cold + real life = a pretty full schedule. The thing I've been realizing is that, as with anything, daily life WILL get in the way of organizing (if you let it). So often I feel like I don't have time to organize/do a craft project/breathe because I am so busy. But when faced with something like this 21-Day-Challenge, where I HAVE to get stuff done, I find that I'm able to carve out a few minutes here and there to tackle a project. And I have to say, if that's the only thing I take away from this challenge, it will be worth it.

Okay, the spice cabinet. I am a very un-spicy person. Salt and garlic are about the only things I use to flavor my food, and neither of those falls in the spice category. My husband, on the other hand, likes to mix things up and try new spices as well as keep staples in stock.

Here's what we were working with:

A narrow, deep cupboard that's not really easy to access.
Even though I had a plastic tub to try and organize it, most of our stuff was just thrown in there.



This is just some of it, although the cup and the remote control were already on the counter, not in the cupboard.


I started by weeding out doubles and putting them in a box that I can keep at the back:

We had doubles of everything from vanilla extract to cayenne pepper.


I hunted down another plastic tub for the bottom shelf, and then wrote labels on the tops of the bottles, as we are looking down at them when we pull them out.



For bottles with black tops, I just wrote on a piece of paper and then covered it with clear contact paper.
It took a lot less time than I thought, and hopefully it will at least keep us from buying more doubles.

I totally forgot to take an after picture of the cupboard, but basically it's just a plastic tub on each shelf. Easy to pull out, easy to see.



No comments: