Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ten on Tuesday ~ What Gets Me Through the Day


Ten things (people are a whole different post) that get me through each day, for which I am forever grateful.



In order that they appear:


My Reliable Alarm Clock
It's never failed me or had an off day. [Knock wood.]
I hate it at 3:30 AM but recognize it as a necessary evil.
It's just doing its job.



Hot water/shower
When I lived in Colombia, my hot-water tank was about the size of a gallon of milk.

Most people there take cold showers.

Voluntarily.

One time I called the maintenance guy to look at it because it wasn't working. He asked incredulously, "You want hot water?"

Yes. Yes I do.



Coffee
I don't care if it's instant, comes out of a vending machine, or is three days old. (Most of the time I drink the cheapest instant kind the grocery store carries.) I need it for the caffeine and the other drivers on I-10 at 4:30 AM thank me.




My 1994 Toyota Camry
She's a workhorse, that one. Pushing 180,000 miles and still drives 120 miles a day without rattling. I am so thankful for a car with good gas mileage that gets me to and from work each day.

And speaking of...


My Mechanic
(Okay, so I don't have to see him everyday. Thank God.)
But he deserves honorable mention because he is honest, kind, and makes sure I'm driving a safe car.
Worth his weight in gold.




My Computer
(work and home)
Pretty self explanatory.
For the most part we can't get by without them nowadays.
Most of my work is done on computer.




A Working Refrigerator
We've had many instances with the opposite, so I am thankful that this one is still going strong.


And while I'm at it:

A Working Stove
As much as cooking is the bane of my existence, I do appreciate the fact that I have the tools to make healthy meals for my family.




Lotion
This can actually be inserted in about 10 different places on this list.
Dry itchy skin = obsessed, dysfunctional Heather.




Trazodone
(antidepressant to help me sleep)
At this point in my life, my insomnia still rages and trazodone comes to the rescue. I am weaning myself off of it, but for now this is what works.
I also like that it's not a typical "sleeping pill" so I don't wake up all groggy.
No sleep = zombie-like, dysfunctional Heather



My Warm Bed
It beckons me each night and lets me rest my weary body upon it.
I really try not to take this for granted.





It's the little things, ya know?

What gets you through your day?



Check out more gems at Beyond Black and White.


No comments: