Monday, June 13, 2011

Peace Like a River



I have no idea what the #@@%#^& Blogger is doing to my posts, but I'm gonna try this one more time...

The other day in the "break room" at work, (really the library where we keep the children's books we use in literature units) I wanted to do something other than sit and stare at my unappetizing ramen. There is a shelf of books that other employees bring in when they're done reading. It's quite an odd selection; everything from Harry Potter to recipes of Provincial France. I randomly selected a book to read called
Peace Like a River.




I am so enjoying it! I've only read the first few chapters but I can't wait to read more. I just love the way the author uses language. He cracks me up with the narrator's self-effacing humor ("I'm happy to say [no brain damage] surfaced until I entered tenth grade and signed up for Plane Geometry")
and I even love the chapter titles (Beauteous Are My Cakes Indeed, Peeking at Eternity).

I actually can't read it at work because I get too sucked in by it and then forget the time. Darn work getting in the way.

Another book I just learned about sounds intriguing as well, but for very different reasons. The book is about the musicians on the Titanic who continued to play even while it was sinking.



(source)




I know the movie romanticised it, but it just seems so noble and kind for them to stay and continue playing.







I couldn't find a clip with it, but I love it when the lead musician says, "Gentlemen, it's been an honor playing with you tonight." Makes me want to weep.


Too bad it's such a long wait on Netflix right now. I totally want to see it again.



Any books you'd recommend? I'm always looking for new titles!




No comments: