Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Salsa!

This is more of a reminder to myself than an actual foodie entry.  I came across this recipe and adapted it.  Ralph always tells me to write down what I change so I'll remember for next time, and I NEVER remember.  So... here goes.

Ingredients:
1 large can tomatoes undrained
1 bunch cilantro
1/2 red onion (or whatever kind you have lying around)
juice from 1 lemon
1 1/2 tbsp chicken bullion
1-2 tsp garlic salt
1 jalapeño pepper
1 serrano pepper




Roast the jalapeño and serrano peppers by skewering them and holding them over an open flame until soft and blackened.  It's like roasting marshmallows for s'mores (which I happen to prefer charred).
Slice off the tops of the peppers and dump the remainder in a blender.  Take out the seeds if you don't want too much spice.  (I personally think it tasted great with no peppers at all, but I'm the minority in that respect, so I usually add a little kick.)  Chop off the stems of the cilantro and dump the rest of the bunch in the blender as well.  It doesn't matter if there are still some stems attached.  Throw in the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth, or just pulse if you like it chunky.  Add salt to taste.



[Here's where you can really tell I'm no food blogger, given that all I had to display the finished product in was some tupperware and an old spaghetti jar.  Plus I didn't have any chips to eat with it so I just cut up some cucumber to dip in it.]


I find it tastes best to have it sit awhile (even overnight) to let all the flavors intermingle, but I'm usually too impatient and dive right in.

Ralph surprised me after he saw me making this by frying some chips out of tortillas. And that made life glorious.


No comments: