Wednesday, April 23, 2008

This Week = Depressing, Dirty, and Disorganized

I am putting the picture below at the beginning of this post, because that is the one thing of beauty that made me happy today. I wrote to my grandmother today, having to use plain white computer paper since I forgot my nice stationery for her at home. I thought I'd at least spruce it up for her by putting something from Karen's Whimsy on it, and found this cool postcard. Her stuff always cheers me up. I think it's supposed to be for Valentine's Day, but I figured we could all use some love and wishes coming true right now.




It's been a really hard week with Ralph's dad's passing. Even though I only met him a few times, I know what an emotional impact he had on his family. Ralph has had to spend hours at the funeral home going over details, and it doesn't help that there are other family issues that are hindering the process.

I've been trying to be supportive and help keep things going on the home front, but I am at a loss. Having been used to running a classroom, I've been interacting with the boys in the same manner to try and get chores done. Hasn't been going over so hot. Saturday it all came to a head and we had a very frustrating day. Even though it's been smoothed out, we are still struggling with repercussions and I feel like the amount of work to be done is really overwhelming.

It doesn't help that I've been looking around at organizational sites lately in order to try and "fix" my situation at home. Seeing as how now is the time many people are spring cleaning, there are plenty of blogs boasting beautiful homes. It seems like everyone is having "ah ha" moments and claiming things on their blog such as "I never realized it would be so easy! Everything is now perfectly organized!" They display their before and after photos, showing not only perfectly-clean houses but uber-organized closets, pantries, purses, cars, kids' rooms, and cabinets. I can't even imagine posting a picture of any of those areas right now...

We have pictures strewn on just about every surface, as I volunteered to put together a collage of Ralph's dad for Friday's viewing. The boys have fallen behind in their chores because neither Ralph or I have the energy to get after them this week, so the waste baskets are overflowing, there are dirty dishes in the sink and on the counters, and clothes, shoes, backpacks, baseball gloves, and other flotsam all over the house.

I thought maybe I'd tackle something small to make myself feel better, like my purse. Even that was too much for me. The first thing I pulled out was a wrinkled receipt that reminded me that gas is now up to $3.72 a gallon. That depressed me so much that I just shoved it back into the abyss and gave up, instead deciding to write about how sorry I feel for myself right now. All I want to do is curl up in bed, eat cookies, and wash trash T.V. I think I might be able to do that tonight since the boys don't have baseball practice and therefore everyone will be home to eat an early dinner.

Is it Friday yet?

No comments: