Monday, June 30, 2008

Walk Score: Great, I can only walk from my house to my car

With gas prices skyrocketing and our commute staying at a steady 122 miles a day, five days a week, I've been searching (in vain) for ways to save gas.

One site I came across was Walk Score, which, in their own words, "shows you a map of what's nearby and calculates a Walk Score for any property." To add insult to injury, they go on to add, "Living in a walkable neighborhood is good for the environment and good for your health." The reason I don't sound too happy about this site is because I typed in my own address and found that I live in a nearly unwalkable neighborhood (not that I couldn't figure that out myself). Here's what the data shows:



Notice in the top left-hand corner that my neighborhood has a walk score of 25 out of 100. Here's the breakdown of what the scores mean:



So basically, I live in a Driving Only neighborhood. "Virtually no neighborhood destinations within walking range."

Our solution? Stay home. We get movies from Netflix so we don't drive to the local Blockbuster or Hollywood Video. We eat in rather than go out. We do projects around the house rather than look for stuff to do around town.

As for our commute, I looked into using public transportation, but it would take us about 3 times as long as our already long commute. Plus, we'd still have to drive 15-20 miles to the nearest train station that has a train going into Orange County. Plus, on the other end, we'd have to take a minimum of 2 buses to get from the station to work. I swear, we are forced to be dependent on our cars!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe that walk score is cool, but nowadays more and more people drive cars.
Homes are often located in an area where some establishments are easier to get to by car than on foot.
I’ve recently found a type of service on Fizber. It is called Drive Score.
It shows a map of what establishments are in your neighborhood and calculates
a Drive Score based on the number of places within a convenient driving distance.