Monday, June 8, 2009

Makeup Monday: Maybelline Dream Liquid™ Mousse


[I don't know if I'll actually do a makeup review each Monday; I just liked the way it sounded in the title. What can I say? I'm a sucker for alliteration.]

I've always been interested in makeup, mostly because I've been called Plain Jane often enough to think I need a little sprucing up. Also, I like the idea of experimenting with different looks, and playing dress-up.

I used to buy a lot of my makeup at department stores, but my new budget definitely doesn't allow it. As I've slowly been running out of my department-store makeup products, I'm replacing them with less-expensive drugstore finds. (And I've found them to be just as good, if not better.)

Foundation has always been hard for me to pick, since I have uneven skin tone and have a fear about looking two-toned:






pasty:





or... uh... orange:



[That's one reason why I love Rite Aid, you can return makeup!]

I tried Revlon Colorstay for a while, as I'd heard it was comparable to the M.A.C. foundation I had been using (and was a third of the price). While it definitely stayed on my face, it was hard to blend, and it seemed like it collected in the creases and clogged my pores. It also seemed kind of cakey and had too much of a matte finish.

I decided to try something lighter, a little less Kabuki and a little more dewy-looking. Enter Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse.




It boasts an "airbrushed finish" and I have to admit, it really seemed to blend seamlessly for me. I wasn't sure about the color at first because the store was out of a lot of shades (I had to pick the lightest one), but I when I tried it on, it matched quite well. I like that it doesn't feel heavy, and doesn't seem to settle into wrinkles to make them more pronounced. And at around $8.50 a bottle, it's still less than a third of what M.A.C. costs.

So while I may never look like this model when I wear it:

"Adriana is wearing New Dream Liquid™ Mousse Foundation in Pure Beige."


I still think it does a better job than both M.A.C. and Revlon. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't have any SPF in it. Other than that, it really works for me. (Now if I could just get my brows to look as good as hers!)

Anyone else have makeup finds they love?

1 comment:

Crayl said...

Thank you for this. My MAC foundation, which has lasted me a couple years due to my barely using it, has , well "turned". I need a replacement for those few times a year I should spruce up.
Love Rite Aid's makeup return policy.