Monday, May 10, 2010

Monday Musings

A lovely weekend was had by all. Here are Blue and Rhino showing the love.



Saturday we went to see some family friends' sons' first communion, and had lunch afterward. Then we went to the boys' maternal grandmother's surprise 60th birthday party. [I had been worried about being late, since we had been tied up at the other party. We were supposed to be there at 5:00, and she was supposed to show at 6:00. We didn't get there until six, but it turned out okay since she didn't show until 7:00. Like a (Mexican) woman at lunch said, "Don't worry, they're Mexican. They're always late."]

The grandmother was VERY surprised and super happy, because her daughter from Oregon flew in and her sisters from Mexico came up. It was great. And it was so sweet, when she gave her thank-you speech, she thanked Ralph too, and told him he would always be a part of the family (even though her daughter and Ralph are divorced). She actually had him come up on stage so she could hug him and thank him for being such a great dad to her grandsons. It was very touching. And then she said, "Sorry Heather, but he's always going to be my son-in-law." :)

Since the boys were with mom on Mother's Day, Ralph had them give me their present the day before. It was a gorgeous green amethyst ring. I just found out that amethyst comes in green a few months before, when I got ad add in the mail for some jewelry store. I loved that it was a different version of my birthstone. Ralph remembered me mentioning how pretty I thought it was, and searched high and low for one. I love it! For some reason I couldn't get a decent picture.



Ralph and I went to a local Mexican restaurant for brunch on Mother's Day, and they gave all the moms free cake :) Then we came home and relaxed the rest of the day. Well, I shouldn't say we relaxed, we actually worked on painting the family room. We painted over the brick fireplace, since it was really dark and we're trying to lighten up the room a bit. We painted it white, and are painting the walls a lovely blue. I'm going to add a mirror on the mantle too, to reflect more light and make the room look bigger. We're trying to do a lot of little home improvements on our own. Last week, we refinished the "cultured marble" (a.k.a fiberglass) counter on my vanity to make it look like stone. It turned out really well; I'll show pictures soon.

Also found a great blog called Sew Many Ways; I love her "Tool Time Tuesdays" with great easy, inexpensive ideas. I also found this quote on her blog that I liked:

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out.
It is then burst into flame by an encounter
with another human being.
We should be thankful for those people
who rekindle the inner spirit.
space
~Albert Schweitzer~


Have a good week.

No comments: