Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Happy Feet: Spray Paint Your Life





I swear the wind watches and waits until I have the spray can in my hand before it starts up. No matter, I still paint with abandon. And splattered cement in a pool area is very artsy.

I got a wild hair one day and decided I had to get myself out of my funk I'd been in for months. I had stumbled across these shoes, and thought to myself, "Hey, I have a whole can of purple spray paint!"



Purple is not usually a color I use, but it had been for one of the boys' Halloween costumes and I'd only used a tiny bit.

I rummaged around in my closet and found some shoes that I hadn't worn in a while:

Personally, I like these guys, but people told me I looked like I was about to go rock climbing and my husband thinks they're hideous.

So I used the remainder of a roll of painting tape and some napkins, and started priming.


These soaked up a lot of primer and paint, and took quite a few applications. Still, I was happy with the result.

(There's a spot by my right big toe with primer peeking through. Meh.)







I'm not sure why I insisted on contorting myself into odd positions instead of just taking the darn things off.





I'm sure the hubs still thinks they're hideous, but he's been sweet enough to stay quiet about it.


Another project I thought turned out well was painting some bowls from the Dollar Tree and a jewelry holder. I got the holder as a gift and loved the concept, but not the pink.


I was painting the shoes at the same time, mostly because I was too impatient to just sit around watching paint dry.


I glued a candlestick onto one of the bowls,



got jiggy with the spray paint and then set them up like so:



Sorry I didn't get a closeup of the individual pieces, but trust me, they really do look nice. (You can click the pics to enlarge them a bit.)




The cloth on the jewelry-holder dress absorbed a lot of paint, and there's still a bit of pink showing through, but it just makes it look a little more antique, I think.


I say, spray paint whatever you like: cloth, leather, one of the kids. What have you got to lose?

For more awesome spray paint projects, go over to Thrifty Decor Chick's Spray Paint Party!


No comments: