Thursday, December 20, 2012

Makeup Monday: Using Tape as a Guide for Shadow



Okay, so it's not Monday.  But I've had these ridiculous pictures hanging around for a long time and I'm impatient.  Plus, who's going to be taking the time to stare at my eyeballs on Christmas Eve?  As an added bonus, this this might help anyone looking for last-minute holiday makeup ideas.

Okay, here we go.

I have eyes that angle down at the corners, tending to make them look kind of droopy.  Plus, if I just follow the natural line of them while putting on my makeup, it just enhances the droopiness.  I couldn't seem to make precise enough lines to make them look like they were curving up; it always just looked messy.  Then I came across an idea online:  use tape as a guide!  (Sorry, I can't remember exactly where I saw it first.)



Start off with putting two pieces of tape (one for each eye) on your hand.  This gets some of the stickiness off so you won't pull on your delicate eye skin.  I even rip it on and off my hand a few times to make it even less sticky.



Next, line the tape up as if you are extending it out from your bottom lash line, like so:




This will make the shadow look like it is angling up instead of down.  Apply shadow as you normally would, then GENTLY peel off the tape.



You can see the line from the tape in the picture above.  This is before I put on liner and mascara.  I sometimes leave the tape on for the liner as well, especially if I'm doing a cat eye.


This is after liner and mascara:







You can see the line that now makes it look like my eyes angle up instead of down:



With eyes open:



With flash:






Obviously if you want a more subtle look, just use lighter shadow.  You also don't have to extend the shadow out as far, but I like to go big.  Makes the eyes appear larger. 


Hope this helps.  Merry Christmas!





P.S.  Do you know how hard it is to take pictures of your own face?

No comments: